Globe Trekker habitats are the best truck-bed replacement solution on the market to turn your heavy duty truck into the ultimate expedition rig! Valiant is proud to partner with another premium US manufacturer to build you the overland machine of your dreams, whether for weekend trips or full-time nomadic living!
Globe Trekker has a wide variety of different habitat sizes to fit your conversion needs. Based on the size of the vehicle you want to convert, and the frame length behind the cab, we and GT will help you select the ideal habitat size and shape to meet your needs. GT then manufactures their incredibly high quality panels which, when assembled, constitute the "habitat".
Once we've established the correct habitat for your needs, Valiant will work with you to design the ideal interior for your needs. At this point we'll determine quantity and placement of things like doors and windows, as well as the interior layout and utilities.
Once we have ordered your Globe Trekker habitat and designed the habitat's layout, the next step takes us to the conversion vehicle. Once we have your vehicle, the bed will be removed to expose the truck's frame. Globe Trekker has then designed specialized subframes that we will attach to the truck's frame to create a platform for the habitat to mount to the truck. These subframes are specifically engineered to prevent the twisting and flexing of the truck's frame from being transferred into the habitat.
Once the subframe has been installed, we then assemble the habitat, hoist it and mount it to the vehicle. Thank god for high ceilings.
With the habitat mounted to the truck, we can then begin the build-out stage. At this point we will take our CAD designs and CNC machine all interior cabinetry, beds and internal framing components. This is the longest stage, as we take the habitat shell and turn it into the expedition living space of your dreams!
To start the process, we need to talk about what you're looking for in your Globe Trekker build. In this conversation we will go over:
1. The mission: long term living, weekend trips, etc.
2. The conversion vehicle: Either you will already have the truck and we'll figure out the best habitat to fit it, or we'll figure out which habitat meets your needs and send you out to find a suitable truck. Keep in mind you need a heavy duty vehicle with a long bed. Globe Trekker recommends 3500's and up, you can also find LMTV surplus vehicles relatively cheap that make great platforms that will definitely turn heads.
3. What is your budget for this project? Our GT build rate is $85/hr for complete start-to-finish builds. We can do partial builds if you want to do your own interior, in which case the shop rate is $110 / hr.
Example cost estimate (starting from a bare-frame truck):
4. The subsequent project phases and billing schedule. We bill at different stages throughout the project, which you will see below. The goal here is to guarantee that if we have to part ways on the project at any time, you have a useful product to take and we have been paid for our work up to that point.
After establishing these points, we will ballpark a price range for the project and determine whether you want to proceed.
Our next step will be the design and quoting phase. At this point we charge a consultation fee. What you will receive at the conclusion of this phase is a CAD layout of the build, as well as an itemized component / material manifest with pricing. After this, you will know:
1. How the finished build going to look and work
2. The total cost of components, materials, as well as the Globe Trekker habitat itself.
3. An estimate of labor costs.
Once we've finalized phase 2, the next step will be for you to order your habitat and any accessories directly from Globe Trekker. GT can help coordinate shipping your habitat to us.
We will order the components and materials for the habitat build-out at this time.
Now that the habitat and our parts are on the way, it's time to bring us the vehicle. We will then begin the process to prepare the vehicle by removing the bed, and relocating any components that may interfere with the habitat mounting (like fuel filler necks, wires, hoses, etc). Once the subframe arrives, we will mount it to the vehicle's frame. We will then bill out the labor for this phase. Payment for phase 4 is required before the habitat construction begins.
Now that the vehicle is prepped and ready, it's time to build the habitat. This will be the longest phase, estimate 4-8 weeks depending on the build complexity. During this phase, we will bill for labor every 2 weeks.
Once the habitat is complete and installed, we will invite you to the shop for your tour. Expect a full day for this process, as we will go through the in's and out's of how everything works. We'll bring the beer.
At this point, payment will be required for any balance due for the project.
If you aren't able to pick up at our shop, we can arrange to deliver it for a fee.
It's likely been an excruciating few months of waiting, and now you have the ultimate expedition rig to get out there and explore the world. So go forth and conquer in comfort and confidence in knowing you've got the best quality expedition habitat on the market, built by two fantastic small US manufacturers dedicated to your experience!
Copyright © 2018 Valiant Expedition Trailers, LLC- All Rights Reserved.